Funny term but a useful way to vape. Let’s dive in with some history and then get down to the dirty details.
History of Squonk Mods
The origins of bottom-feed mods date back to 2009. “Carlos49”, a member of the E-CigaretteForum (ECF) was credited with creating the first squonker that was commercially available. He created the Juicebox which featured an integrated atomizer. His creation, the Juicebox never achieved commercial success because it was not possible to service the integrated atomizer without having it sent back to the modder coupled. It was also because he was not able to fulfill the orders that were coming in. It however served as an inspiration to the successful and most popular squonker: The REO which was created by another ECF member called Robert O’Neil.
Most people in the world of vaping are conversant with Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers (RDA), they however have one drawback and that is the dripping bit of the equation. With an RDA you have to carry a bottle of e-liquid around with you, and drip it into your atomizer constantly. This can be very bothersome and can tend to get a bit messy. It has however become a problem of the past with the introduction of squonking.
So what is Squonking?
Squonking is a vaping style that involves the use of a squonk mode and a bottom-fed re-buildable tank atomizer. It is aimed at people that vape and are looking for an all in one solution. It has a variety of products tailored to suit each and everyone’s needs. It contains bottles of a large capacity and this helps to do away with carrying around separate bottles of juice throughout the day. The origin of the term squonking is somewhat a mystery but that is what we call it to day.
How does a squonk mod work?
Below is a comprehensive step by step process on how to use your squonk mod;
- Squeeze your bottle gently so that the e-liquid will rise into the RDA.
- Release the bottle, letting it get back into its original shape. The vacuum caused by doing this will suck the extra e-liquid that is left in the RDA back into the bottle. The only e-liquid that will remain in the RDA will be enough to wet the wick and leave a bit extra.
- Hit the power button of your mod to take a puff then sit back, relax and start vaping. Continue vaping until you feel the flavor diminishing then gently squeeze the bottle again.
It is very easy to get a grip on how to use a squonk mod. A couple of squeezes every so often after a few puffs will wet the wicks and keep your vape dry hit free.
What are the benefits of using a squonk mode?
As we all know, everything has its positives and its negatives. Below is a list of the benefits of using a squonk mod;
- It is convenient to use because there are no frequent refills or dripping.
- It is easier to squonk while on the go compared to using an RDA because with an RDA, you have to constantly drip.
- The size of most bottle tanks are 5ml or less however, the bottle size of a squonk mod is generally over 7ml.
- There is minimized leaking and overflow because the excess e-liquid ends up back inside the bottle.
- Flavor is similar to that you will get when using an RDA.
What are the disadvantages that come with the use of a squonk mod?
- Battery life is the biggest downside when it comes to squonking. Until the recent growth in dula battery squonkers most squonk set ups used a single 18650 battery, though that is changing now with the release of 20700 batteries and 21700 batteries.
- There is higher vape juice consumption because squonking makes it more convenient. This however largely depends on your vaping habits.
- Some set-ups have a hard time with re-absorption of the excess juice that rises into the RDA. This shows that overflow is not completely eliminated.
- There are only a few regulated squonk mods in the market. Most squonk mods are unregulated.
Could squonking be for you?
The only way you can find out whether it is your thing is to start by trying it out. Squonking has a number of advantages as listed above and so if you are looking for convenience but still want to maintain the flavor and vapor production you get when dripping. It just might be your thing.
Squonking is not really a thing for people who are new to the vaping scene. If you are not into coil rebuilding and RDAs, you might want to start with regular tanks that have replaceable coils then work your way up. Squonk mods can be quite expensive because most of the devices are not produced in mass and have a waiting list. This can make a huge dent in your budget if you develop a fetish.
Parts of this article sourced from vaping360.com & aspenvalleyvapes.com